What is an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are work-based learning programmes that combine on and off-the-job training, designed by employers for employers, therefore tailored to meet the needs of each specific industry sector. An individual gains a nationally recognised qualification whilst working for an employer and the employer gets a work-ready or better skilled employee who can learn on the job.
Apprenticeships bring considerable value to organisations, employers, individuals and the economy. Businesses across the country are now increasingly realising the enormous benefits that Apprenticeships create, not only in terms of a highly skilled workforce but also by boosting productivity and staff retention. Research undertaken by the National Apprenticeships Service (NAS) shows they are an optimal way of training, developing and skilling people for the future, helping businesses secure a supply of people with the skills and qualities they need and which were often not available on the external job market.
An apprenticeship gives you the chance to earn whilst you learn.
Whether you are looking to develop yourself for that big promotion or simply wanting to upskill - our delivery methods and qualifications make learning challenging and fun. We tailor our courses around your learning. Need extra help and support? Our specialist Assessors are there alongside you every step of your learning journey
You’ll pick up important knowledge and skills whilst gaining a weekly income and a foothold in your preferred industry or business sector.
How do Apprenticeships work?
As an apprentice you must attain knowledge and skills to an approved national standard and use these skills to add value to your employer’s business.
How much does an Apprenticeship cost?
An apprenticeship will cost you nothing. It’s paid for by the government and the employer. However, you must put in the time and effort required to make your opportunity a success.
What do I have to commit to?
- You’ll commit to participating in all necessary training over a one to four year period, depending on your chosen job role.
- You’ll also commit to forging a good relationship with your employer and college assessor and must successfully complete all necessary college work.
- You’ll spend 20% of your time in ‘off the job’ training, which will be paid and will include time spent learning at college.
Apprenticeships are proven to be a cost-effective way of reducing training and recruitment costs, increasing productivity, and developing a skilled and motivated workforce for the future. Now you can add value to your business and fill critical skills gaps by upskilling your workers through our professional apprenticeships programme, removing the need to recruit new talent. What’s more, it could cost you nothing extra under the Apprenticeship Levy rules, depending on the size of your organisation.
Higher level and degree apprenticeship routes could be open to all employees, no matter what their previous qualifications and job roles. You simply partner with us, and together we provide the structure, teaching and support an employee needs to transform their skills set.
So, if you have an employee who could be an even greater asset with some professional training, then don’t miss this opportunity to realise their full potential.
How the Apprenticeship Levy works
- If your total annual wage bill exceeds £3 million you will pay a 0.5% apprenticeship levy on that sum.
- Once you have paid this amount you will then be able to access your organisation’s funding through your new Digital Apprenticeship Service Account.
- Importantly, you will be entitled to a £15,000 allowance to offset the levy. Furthermore, you will receive a 10% top-up on your contributions.
- All contributions can be set against corporation tax.
Why choose Itchen?
- Access expert advice to find the right apprentice for your business.
- Our delivery model ensures the best outcome for all and can be flexible to meet organisational needs.
- Receive guidance on the apprenticeship levy rules.
- Rely on continued support throughout the apprenticeship journey from our extensive team with a total of 25 years of experience.
- Get support upskilling your existing staff.