English as a Foreign Language
The course is taught in three double lessons of 90 minutes duration. A typical week's lessons would include two Level 3 support lessons and one EFL exam focused lesson.
The Level 3 support classes utilise a range of academic and semi-academic resources designed to make students more comfortable and confident when confronted with academic texts in a different language in their various subjects. The lessons then develop the students' awareness of the skills and strategies that can be used to tackle such texts. As such materials have no direct link to a specific exam, the prioritising of the skills and learning rather than the outcome is more possible for both the teacher and the students.
The skills nurtured and developed will be transferable and be of general benefit to Level 3 study across a range of subjects and aim to develop their:
- Awareness of academic register and tone as distinct from less formal registers
- Listening skills in an academic non-EFL context to use deductive strategies
- Ability to arrive at solutions under exam conditions confidence in relation to low-frequency and subject-specific vocabulary
- Willingness to fully contribute to lessons
- Use of dictionary ability
- Ability to have something to say in a range of EFL speaking and listening and broader contexts