English as a Foreign Language
This course takes international students to an intermediate level in all language skills. It is for students who need skills in English because they plan to study A levels or because they are already studying one or two A levels and wish to continue their studies at university.
This course will also help you learn English quickly so that you use it in your everyday life in England. You will study six lessons a week or more, depending on your level of English and the lessons will help you get ready for the Skills for Life exams next year.
In lessons we will discuss topics of interest which will help you to learn new vocabulary and discuss grammar points. The topics will often be presented in course books which your teachers will give you. These course books give you written and spoken examples of how to use English to talk and write about these topics and your teachers will ask you to give your own opinions.
The skills we will practise include asking for and giving information, asking for and giving opinions, checking information is correct, describing objects and places, talking about what you like and dislike and agreeing and disagreeing with each other.
All students will take Skills for Life exams in May or June and to do well in these you will need to use the following skills:
- Participating in discussions face to face
- Listening carefully and understanding what another person says
- Giving an answer to a question or giving your opinion
- Asking for someone's opinion or for information
- Giving a mini-presentation for 1-2 minutes
- Reading carefully and understanding different types of questions
- Writing notes, emails, instructions, reports and filling in forms