Sport (triple award)
This a course who want a practical approach to sport. It is a triple award, which will make it your main course of study.
This course is for you if...
- you are keen and active in sport;
- you have a range of sports knowledge;
- you are interested in all aspects of sporting performance.
What will I study on this course?
The first year of this course is made up of nine units:
- Principals of anatomy in sport
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Sports nutrition
- Sports coaching
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise
- Practical team sports
- Sports injuries
- Fitness Training and programming
These units are tested by a variety of theoretical, practical and internal assignments.
The second year of the course is made up of the following units:
- Sports development
- Exercise, health and nutrition
- Leadership in sport
- Sports nutrition
- Practical individual sport
- Running sports activities
- Psychology for sports performance
- Rules, regulations and officiating in sport
Within your two years of study you have the opportunity to achieve essential in-course qualifications, such as:
- Community Sports Leader Award (CSLA) & Higher Sports Leader Award (HSLA)
- First aid at work certificate
- Fitness Instructors Award
- FA Level 1 football coaching award
- Basketball Level 1 coaching award
- Various refereeing and leader awards
Extended opportunities and enrichment
We have our Academy of Sport which offers specialist coaching and teams in eight different sports. We also offer coaching awards which, combined with academic grades, can secure your place at university or employment in a sport related career.
Where can this course lead to?
If you wish to go on to higher education, you may take subjects such as:
- Sports science, sports psychology, sports journalism, sports analysis
- Fitness and personal training
- Football studies with business
- Teaching PE
- Coaching and sport development
- Event management (sport)
Possible careers include leisure centre roles, personal training and coaching roles.