At Itchen, support is available whenever you need it. The Student Services Centre is open to all students, throughout the college day, with advisors on hand to help with any enquiries or support needs which you may have.
Our advisors can:
- Help you sort out day-to-day problems with work, study and living, regarding issues such as housing, finances and careers
- Give you personal support and advice
- Support you with your UCAS application
- Book appointments with your Tutor Team Manager
- Book appointments with the college counsellors, who are available for all types of personal issues
- Provide careers advice and guidance—see below for more information
- Administer the Itchen Maintenance Award (IMA)
- Issue bus passes
- Administer free school meals
- Careers advice and guidance
We are committed to providing excellent careers guidance and support to our students. Our services include:
- Independent careers information, advice and guidance (IAG)
- Arranging careers events and workshops
- CV clinics
- Higher education advice, including assistance with UCAS applications and personal statements
- Links with industry, business and employers
- Employability suite including extensive careers targets
- Careers coach software
- Work experience co-ordinator
In addition to the careers advice provided in the Student Services Centre, there is also an extensive range of resources available in the Learning Resources Centre, including DVDs, prospectuses, careers magazines and more.
We are proud of the inclusive nature of the college, and our Student Services and tutor team are keen to support students of all backgrounds and abilities. This includes helping many Looked After Children and Care Leavers to succeed in their education. The Designated Tutor for Care Leavers and Looked After Children is Debbie Finch (firstname.lastname@example.org), who will be happy to answer any questions and provide further information.
Our Student Services Team:
Debbie Finch - Student Services Officer (Safeguarding & Careers)
Debbie is a Safeguarding Officer at Itchen and works in Student Services to help students with concerns they may have and offer careers guidance.
Janine Batten - UCAS Administrator and Tutorial Support
Janine works with students to help them with their career ambitions, higher education aims and support them in completing their UCAS application.
Deirdre Leggett - Tutor Team Manager (TTM)
As well as being a teacher of Psychology and Health and Social Care, Deirdre works with Student Services to provide TTM support for students.
Bev Luckman - Tutor Team Manager (TTM)
Bev teaches in the Media and English departments, as well as being a Tutor Team Manager (TTM). She is responsible for monitoring attendance for Maths and English GCSE students.
Bridget Jones - High Performance Academy Co-ordinator and Tutor Team Manager (TTM)
Bridget is a Tutor Team Manager and is also the co-ordinator of Itchen's gifted and talented programme, the High Performance Academy. As part of this, she co-ordinates students' Extended Project Qualifications (EPQs). She is also a TTM for student support.
Alex Morris - Work Experience Coordinator
Alex is the Work Experience Coordinator at the college and helps students to organise work placements. She also works with local employers who want to work with our current students.
Michelle Payne - Attendance and IMA Officer
Michelle is on hand throughout the year to deal with poor student attendance and IMA payments for students. During the first six weeks of term, Michelle also helps coordinate transport and college bus payments.