English Functional Skills
Vocational Level 1 & 2
This course is for you if:
- you do not have a GCSE grade 3/D or above.
- you need an English qualification to help you find employment.
- you want to develop your practical reading and writing skills for your home, work and leisure activities.
- you want to improve your confidence in discussion with others and when presenting your ideas.
- you want to develop your English skills to help you qualify for other courses.
Level 1 or 2 Numeracy courses and GCSE Maths combine well with this course. There are also many other vocational courses which would combine well with this course, including Business Administration, Maths, Travel & Tourism and many more.
What topics will I study?
In this course you will develop your skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening. You will work towards English Functional Skills Level 1 and/or Level 2.
English Functional Skills is a practical course during which you will learn how to write documents such as emails, reports and letters.
You will also improve your reading and writing skills in a variety of everyday and work-based situations.
Speaking and listening skills are also an important part of the course, eg taking part in a discussion and giving a short presentation.
The topics you work on will be drawn from a variety of home, work and leisure related activities and experiences.
- Component 1: reading
- Component 2: writing
- Component 3: speaking, listening and communication
What can I do after this course?
On successful completion of Level 1, you may be able to move on to our Level 2 course before moving on to GCSE English Language.