Global Distribution System (Galileo)
Vocational Level 3
This course is offered to students in this learning area and may form an integral part of your study programme. This course may also be available for students who are studying subjects outside of the learning area, although Geography & Tourism students will have priority if the course is oversubscribed.
This course is for you if...
...you are seeking future in the travel industry.
...you are good at IT.
Where can this course lead to?
Many students go on into the travel and tourism sector, often working with airlines or working with travel agents.
What will I study on this course?
Galileo is the number one Global Distribution System (GDS) used by travel agencies and airlines all over the world to make and confirm reservations for flights, hotel rooms and car hire.
The travel industry has become so vast and complex that qualifications and training are now vital to get entry into the industry. Furthermore, information technology skills are essential to the travel and tourism industry and that being able to demonstrate such skills are imperative.
This course equips industry entrants with a thorough knowledge and understanding of Galileo, combining trainer led demonstrations with practical exercises, creating, storing, retrieving and amending complex travel itineraries. The delivery of this course will involve the use of a ‘live’ GDS system.
The course will cover:
- Access to the Galileo system, conforming to security procedures
- Request and interpret availability and timetable screens
- Book the most suitable flights for the client’s itinerary
- Input mandatory and optional booking file information including TODs
- Add, amend and cancel passenger servicing information and booking file servicing requests
- Recognise different fare types
- Access and apply the relevant fare notes
- Obtain the most appropriate fare quote for the itinerary’s requirements
- Interpret the booking file history to determine all changes from original creation
- Work with the Galileo queuing system
Extended opportunities and enrichment
Students will get to use a 'live' GDS system and gain practical experience as well as a qualification which can help them find employment.