Having knowledge of another language is an essential skill in our growing economy and many higher education institutions and employers value students who show experience and skills within another language.
This course is for you if:
- you enjoy communicating with other people and finding out how language works and learning about different cultures and countries.
Where can this course lead to?
Students find that modern languages is a natural fit with many subjects, enabling them to use their skills and qualifications to access careers opportunities at home and abroad.
What will I study on this course?
This course has been designed to give you a profound understanding of your chosen language. Not only will you know more about technological, social changes, and the benefits of multiculturalism, but you will also explore the artistic culture including music and cinema. You will study literary texts and films, and carry out an independent research project on an area of your choice.
The A Level aims to make studying French compelling by basing the study topics around lifestyle and social topics that you’ll be interested in. This is a two-year course during which you will study the following topics:
Social Issues and Trends
- Aspects of French speaking society eg family, cyberspace, equal rights
- Multiculturalism in French speaking society eg immigration, racism, diverse society
Political and Artistic Culture
- Artistic culture in the French-speaking society eg modern idols, regional identity, cultural heritage
- Aspects of political life in the French-speaking society eg youth culture, monarchies and dictatorships
You will also study:
- Literary texts and/or a film
- Individual research project
Language students have access to a wide range of up-to-date resources including the use of PCs and iPads during lessons. There are
opportunities for field trips to Spain or France for A Level students.
Many have benefited from the French exchange visit in the South of France, the Spanish exchange with Pamplona, and the residential trip to Madrid, giving them the opportunity to improve their spoken French or Spanish and to enhance their understanding of the language and the culture. We also offer the opportunity for all students to practise their language skills with one-to-one speaking sessions with the language assistant.