If you are looking to go into a career involving science, or want to study Chemistry at a further level in higher education, or a degree related to medicine, this is course is a good choice for you.
This course is for you if...
...you have enjoyed Chemistry at school.
...you enjoy carrying out investigations using imaginative, logical and critical thinking.
...you want to use Chemistry to support other qualifications or progress onto further studies.
Where can this course lead to?
After this course you could follow a degree course in Chemistry, Environmental Science, Medicine or Pharmacy. You may go into a Higher National Diploma in Chemical Science or related areas. Alternatively, you might find employment in the area of pharmacy and biotechnology.
What will I study on this course?
Itchen follows the OCR specification:
Module 1: development of practical skills in chemistry
- Skills of planning, implementing, analysis and evaluation
Module 2: foundations in chemistry
- Atoms, compounds, molecules and equations; amount of substance; acid–base and redox reactions; electrons, bonding and structure
Module 3: periodic table and energy
- The periodic table and periodicity; group 2 and the halogens; qualitative analysis; enthalpy changes; reaction rates and equilibrium (qualitative)
Module 4: core organic chemistry
- Basic concepts; hydrocarbons; alcohols and haloalkanes; organic synthesis; analytical techniques (IR and MS)
Module 5: physical chemistry and transition elements
- Reaction rates and equilibrium (quantitative); pH and buffers; enthalpy, entropy and free energy; redox and electrode potentials; transition elements
Module 6: organic chemistry and analysis
- Aromatic compounds; carbonyl compounds; carboxylic acids and esters; nitrogen compounds; polymers; organic synthesis; chromatography and spectroscopy (NMR)
Extended opportunities and enrichment
There will be opportunities to conduct your own research and experiments, as well as trips to universities to have a taster session of what a STEM-based degree would be like.