This course concentrates on the fundamentals of art and design by exploring the basic aspects of Fine Art including drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking.
This course is for you if:
- you enjoy creating innovative and personal things using three dimensional materials as well as two dimensional elements
- you want to learn how to be expressive using a broad range of media and materials
- you like to research historical and contemporary artists and relate this research to your own work
- you like working on live assignments for clients
- you enjoy being creative, open minded and wish to explore how to express ideas and observations in a variety of ways.
Please be aware that you will need to contribute towards the costs of taking this course.
This course is part of our Creative Arts Academy.
What will I study on this course?
This course concentrates on the fundamentals of art and design by exploring the basic aspects of Fine Art including drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking. This will give you an understanding of the skills, techniques and attitudes to start as a successful professional or move on to further study.
It will give an insight into employment opportunities available in the art and design world and enable you to build up a creative portfolio in order to progress to higher education or further training.
There are two compulsory core units:
- Visual recording in Art & Design
- Contextual influences in Art & Design
Plus one professional specialist area:
- Fine art ideas
The essential elements of the course give you an important grounding in art and design by introducing you to drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking. The course specialises in developing your observational skills and using materials and techniques in personal and innovative ways. ‘Live’ briefs form a core part of the course, working on creative projects for specific clients and scenarios.
Extended opportunities and enrichment
Opportunities exist to develop and enhance your assignments on local and international trips. London, New York, Paris, Rome and Venice are a few of the trips our students have been on in the past. You will also have access to guest speakers from the industry and higher education institutions.
Where can this course lead to?
This course is recognised by UCAS and will aid progression to university. Creative opportunities exist after studying to degree level.