This course is for you if:
- you have an interest in creating and editing your images in traditional black and white, colour and digital formats.
- you want to learn how to produce quality images from researching other photographers work.
This course is part of our Creative Arts Academy.
Please be aware that you will need to have your own digital SLR camera and will be required to contribute towards the cost of this course.
What topics will I study?
The majority of your work in your first year will be produced in black and white, with digital enhancement becoming more prevalent in the second year. Workshops using industry standard software (Adobe Photoshop) are also given to help with the digital aspect of the course. You will be asked to research several photographers to help you develop your skills and coursework. You will also visit galleries to record your responses to certain works.
By the end of the course you will be familiar with all types of cameras and equipment including: enlargers; different types of lens; filters; flash guns and more. Work will be carried out in a professional environment with a purpose built studio and a dark room for student use.
You will be expected to use some of your independent study periods for darkroom and digital work to supplement work produced during lessons.
Where can this course lead to?
Progress onto higher education to study photography related courses at degree level. It will also provide you with skills needed for employment in a related field, such as:
- Working as an assistant photographer
- Starting your own photography business
- Working as a photographer for a newspaper or magazine